Events and Workshops
- Health Benefits Workshop
- Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS)
- Voluntary Retirement Program: Optional Retirement Plan and Section 457
- Pre-Retirement Planning Seminars
This workshop is for employees who are interested in learning more about their benefit options—medical, dental, life insurance, disability benefits, and pre-tax flexible spending accounts—and would like assistance before completing their enrollment online. This workshop complements New Employee Orientation by providing detailed benefits information. New employees should plan to attend the earliest session following their start date at the University.
Registration is required, and you can register online. If you have questions, call 612-624-8647 to reach Employee Benefits.
|Wednesday, August 24||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
|Friday, September 23||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
If you are not able to attend a scheduled workshop, you can view the slides for the Health Benefits Workshop presentation.
Slides with notes: (PDF)
This online presentation is for eligible civil service and labor represented staff who want to learn more about their mandatory retirement plan. Eligible staff are covered under the General Plan in the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS).
All faculty and staff who are paid on a continuing basis are eligible to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan and the Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan — two voluntary retirement plans offered through the University that allow you to contribute on a pre-tax basis toward your retirement. Learn about both the similarities and differences between these two plans and your investment options.
Registration is required via ULearn.
|Tuesday, June 14||2:30-3:30 p.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
|Thursday, August 4||2:30-3:30 p.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
If you are unable to attend one of the scheduled workshops, choose a link below to view an online presentation about the Voluntary Retirement Programs.
The University of Minnesota's annual Pre-Retirement Planning Seminars help you and your spouse prepare for retirement. Watch recent sessions by clicking the links below. You can see links to the presentation handouts when you open the online presentation window.
- Employee Benefits, Supplemental Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance(pdf), presented by Melissa Unruh, Employee Benefits
- Social Security and Medicare(pdf) and When to Start Receiving Retirement Benefits (pdf), presented by Rhonda Whitenack, Social Security Administration
View the presentation online (video)
- Employee Benefits, Income Taxes,and Minimum Required Distributions (pdf), presented by Diane Ellis, Securian Retirement
- Estate Planning (pdf), presented by Jessica Johnson, JD, Gray Plant Mooty