Events and Workshops
- Health Benefits Workshop
- Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS)
- Voluntary Retirement Program: Optional Retirement Plan and Section 457
- National Retirement Security Week Webinars (October 18-20)
- Pre-Retirement Planning Seminars
This workshop is for employees who are interested in learning more about their benefit options—medical, dental, life insurance, disability benefits, and pre-tax flexible spending accounts—and would like assistance before completing their enrollment online. This workshop complements New Employee Orientation by providing detailed benefits information. New employees should plan to attend the earliest session following their start date at the University.
Registration is required, and you can register online. If you have questions, call 612-624-8647 to reach Employee Benefits.
|Friday, October 14||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
|Thursday, November 10||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
|Wednesday, December 7||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
If you are not able to attend a scheduled workshop, you can view the slides for the Health Benefits Workshop presentation.
Slides with notes: (PDF)
This online presentation is for eligible civil service and labor represented staff who want to learn more about their mandatory retirement plan. Eligible staff are covered under the General Plan in the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS).
All faculty and staff who are paid on a continuing basis are eligible to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan and the Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan — two voluntary retirement plans offered through the University that allow you to contribute on a pre-tax basis toward your retirement. Learn about both the similarities and differences between these two plans and your investment options.
Registration is required via ULearn.
|Thursday, August 4||2:30-3:30 p.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
If you are unable to attend one of the scheduled workshops, choose a link below to view an online presentation about the Voluntary Retirement Programs.
Join us for free webinars during National Retirement Security Week open to all employees. The one-hour sessions cover budgeting, managing debt, investing, and what to do just before you retire. Webinars will be led by representatives from investment firms that participate in the University’s voluntary retirement plans. Some sessions require registration in advance.
Tuesday, October 18
- 11:00 a.m.: Financial Freedom: Strategies for Reducing Debt and Saving More. Looking for ways to bring your financial life under control? This webinar will teach you how to pay down credit card debt, set up an emergency fund, and save for a comfortable retirement. A representative from Vanguard will discuss basic financial planning.
- 12:00 p.m.: Retirement Basics: Taking the Right Steps. Retirement saving and investing doesn’t need to be complicated. In fact, there are some basic concepts that, if applied, will help increase your odds for a successful, and comfortable retirement. In this presentation, we will explore the basic strategies you can use for saving and investing for your retirement. Specifically, when to start saving and understanding the role of time; how much to save and understanding the need to save a reasonable amount; and, investing smart by understanding the need to balance risk and return. A representative from Securian Retirement Services will present this session. [Meeting number: 630 465 158; Call-in toll-free number: 1-888-450-5996; Attendee access code: 226471]
- 3:00 p.m.: Confident Investing in Any Market (Register online). If you’re a do-it-yourself investor interested in managing your portfolio through market ups and downs, this session will help you learn advanced investing strategies, such as rebalancing techniques and diversification strategies, to help keep your portfolio on track. This session is presented by a representative of Fidelity.
Wednesday, October 19
- 12:00 p.m.: Retirement Roadmap: Keeping Your Dreams on Course. While retirement is unique for everyone, there are some key steps you can take to help map out your ideal retirement. Whether you have many years until retirement or it’s just on the horizon, understanding your goals and how to fund your retirement is an important step. This presentation will help you begin to create your retirement roadmap by defining your destination and how you want to spend your retirement; understanding the various phases of retirement you will experience and how you may fund these phases; and, identifying financial roadblocks and hazardous detours on your retirement journey. This session is presented by Securian Retirement Services. [Meeting number: 635 717 240; call-in toll-free number: 1-888-450-5996; Attendee access code: 226471]
- 1:00 p.m.: Create Your Plan. Retiring when and how you want will largely depend on how much you save and how you invest that money. Attend this webinar and find out what you need to know to save and invest wisely. A representative from Vanguard will present this session.
- 1:00 p.m.: Create a Budget, Ditch Your Debt, and Start Building for the Future (Register online). This webinar is designed to help you get your monthly finances on track and learn about tools, tips, and strategies to help you balance paying down your debt with saving for your future goals. This session is presented by Fidelity.
Thursday, October 20
- 10:00 a.m.: Principles of Investing. Learn principles of investing success from one of the world’s largest global investment management companies. This session will be presented by a representative from Vanguard.
- 12:00 p.m.: Your Retirement and Social Security: Exploring Your Best Options. Understanding your potential sources of income for your retirement years is an important step in building a comfortable retirement. In fact, deciding when and how to claim Social Security is one of the biggest decision pre-retirees have to make. This presentation will help you understand the role Social Security may play during your retirement years. You will also learn about risks faced by retirees; the basics of Social Security—what it provides, who is eligible to receive it, and when benefits begin; claiming strategies that you can use to maximize your Social Security benefits; and, resources you can use to help you explore your options. This session is presented by Securian Retirement Services. [Meeting number: 634 510 754; call-in toll-free number: 1-888-450-5996; Attendee access code: 226471]
- 1:00 p.m.: Shifting from Saving to Spending (Register online). Learn strategies for generating income in retirement—including tips to potentially make your money last—and considerations for withdrawals from your retirement savings. This session is ideal if you expect to retire anytime in the next two years. A representative from Fidelity will present this session.
The University of Minnesota's annual Pre-Retirement Planning Seminars help you and your spouse prepare for retirement. Watch recent sessions by clicking the links below. You can see links to the presentation handouts when you open the online presentation window.
- Employee Benefits, Supplemental Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance (pdf), presented by Melissa Unruh, Employee Benefits
- Social Security and Medicare (pdf) and When to Start Receiving Retirement Benefits (pdf), presented by Rhonda Whitenack, Social Security Administration
View the presentation online (video)
- Employee Benefits, Income Taxes,and Minimum Required Distributions (pdf), presented by Diane Ellis, Securian Retirement
- Estate Planning (pdf), presented by Jessica Johnson, JD, Gray Plant Mooty