UnitedHealthcare Global emergency medical assistance program is provided to you automatically at no additional cost when you enroll in any of the UPlan medical options through Medica. Covered family members are also automatically enrolled in UnitedHealthcare Global.
UnitedHealthcare Global provides you with 24-hour access to multilingual assistance coordinators who can immediately help with any type of travel-related emergency when you are 100 or more miles away from home or in a foreign country. The services include:
- Medical assistance services
- Emergency medical evacuation and repatriation services
- Global intelligence and security services
- Travel assistance services
- Assistance, evacuation, and repatriation coverage for instances where there is a political or natural disaster emergency
UnitedHealthcare Global will work closely with your claims administrator to coordinate the emergency medical assistance services with your UPlan benefits. They will assist you with locating the nearest appropriate health care provider or coordinating admission into a hospital or other care facility. UnitedHealthcare Global will also work with your medical plan to coordinate a direct deposit payment that may be required in order to be admitted to an international hospital.
The program does not cover the cost of hospital or medical expenses. These services are covered through your UPlan medical plan subject to the usual terms and conditions of your UPlan coverage for emergency and urgent care when you are out of the network. You may refer to the Benefits features chart in the 2016 UPlan Medical Summary of Benefits (pdf) for specific benefit information.
Setting Up a Personal Account
To learn more about the services, including limitations, you can set up a personal account to access online services through the UnitedHealthcare Global website:
- Click "Create User"
- Enter the UPlan's UnitedHealthcare Global policy number: 32721
- Enter user account information (username, password, and security question) and click "Register Now"
- Enter name, phone number, and date of birth and click "Finish"
With your account you can:
- View, print, and download information and documents related to the program, including the plan description
- Search the latest intelligence, medical advice, and security alerts
- Submit an inquiry and open a case online through the UnitedHealthcare Global Emergency Response Center
United Healthcare Global can also help with non-medical problems such as lost or stolen passports, translations services, or arranging evacuations due to a deteriorating security situation in an area.
If you are a University retiree over age 65, you have a separate travel program available to you called TravMed Abroad.
Find additional information about the program on the UnitedHealthcare Global website.