Employees who qualify can request a paid parental leave for the birth or adoption of their child. If your spouse gives birth or adopts a child, you may also qualify for a paid parental leave. Parental leaves for University employees range from two weeks to six weeks depending on your employee group.
|Employee Group||Biological Mother||Biological Father||Adoptive Parent|
|Faculty and P&A Employees (except UM-Duluth Faculty)||Six weeks paid leave||Two weeks paid leave, four weeks unpaid leave||Two weeks paid leave, four weeks unpaid leave|
|University of Minnesota Duluth Faculty||Six weeks paid leave||Four weeks paid leave, two weeks unpaid leave||Four weeks paid leave, two weeks unpaid leave|
|Civil Service and Labor Represented Employees||Two weeks or 10 days paid leave, plus up to 20 days of accumulated sick leave||Two weeks or 10 days paid leave||Two weeks or 10 days paid leave|
Policies, rules and contract language governing parental leave vary by employee group. For more details about eligibility for and length of parental leave, read the policy for your employee group.
- LELS, Article 19—Leaves of Absence (pdf)
- Teamsters, Article 19—Leaves of Absence (pdf)
- AFSCME Unit 4, Article 8—Leaves of Absence (pdf)
- AFSCME Unit 6, Article 18—Leaves of Absence (pdf)
- AFSCME Unit 7, Article 18—Leaves of Absence (pdf)
- Civil Service Rules, Rule 11—Leaves of Absence (pdf)
- Parental Leave for Academic Employees
- UEA Article 600.000—Leaves of Absence (UMC) (pdf)
- UEA Article 600.000—Leaves of Absence (UMD) (pdf)
- Graduate Assistant Employment Policy