Benefits for Retirees

Important Documents


To be eligible to continue coverage as a retiree through the University, faculty and staff members must:

  • be age 50 to 54 with 15 years of service, or
  • be age 55 or older with five years of service, or
  • have 30 years of service regardless of age

Retirement Benefits Consultations

You may find it helpful to schedule a retirement benefits consultation up to 6 months prior to your retirement to discuss your options and enrollment deadlines. Call 4-UOHR (612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363) and select option 1 to schedule an appointment.

Continuing Medical and Dental Coverage

You have 30 days after you retire to decide whether or not to continue coverage. If you do not continue coverage, you and your dependents will not have an opportunity to re-enroll in the University’s medical or dental plans in the future.

As a retiree, you pay the full cost of the premiums; and you will be billed directly by the plan option that you choose.

You can continue medical and dental coverage for yourself and any dependents who are covered when you retire. If your spouse works at the University, you have the option to be added to his/her coverage as a dependent. Then after your spouse retires, each of you would have single retiree coverage. You can change your medical plan option; however, if you have individual coverage, you cannot add family coverage at this time.

Medical Plan Options

If you are under age 65, your medical plan options are the same as active employees. If you are age 65 or over, you have a different set of medical plans to choose from that are coordinated with Medicare Part A and Part B.

  • If you, your spouse, or dependents are either all under age 65 or all over age 65, you must enroll in the same age-appropriate plan.
  • If you are different ages (one is under age 65 and one is age 65 or over), you must select separate plans appropriate for your age group.

If you or your spouse are age 65 or older and eligible for Medicare, you must be enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B to continue coverage through the University.

COBRA and Your Retirement Benefits

All new retirees will receive a COBRA notice from 121 Benefits/BRI via U.S. mail. In order to reinstate group life insurance and/or a Health Care Flexible Spending Account, follow instructions provided on the notice. If you'd like to continue University dental and medical benefits, do not elect those benefits through COBRA. Use the Continuation of Coverage form above to elect your medical benefits through the University.

Continuing Group Term Life Insurance

You may choose to continue all or a portion of current basic life insurance and any additional coverage for yourself, your spouse, and children. The maximum period to continue coverage is 18 months or until covered by other group coverage, whichever occurs first. At that time, coverage may be converted to an individual policy or a term life portability policy without evidence of good health if you apply within 31 days. If you choose the portability policy, then spouse and child coverage is also portable.

Changes to Coverage

If you chose coverage for yourself but not your dependents when you retired, you may be able to add them later. You may add dependent coverage if your eligible spouse loses other group coverage or if you marry after retirement.

A written request for a change in coverage due to one of these circumstances must be made to Employee Benefits within 30 days of the date of status change. Call 4-UOHR (612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363) and select option 1 if you have specific questions about changes in your coverage. 

Changes to Plan Options

You can change plan options at the annual Open Enrollment period in November or mid-year if you are moving out of the plan’s service area.

If you turn age 65 during the year, you must change to one of the medical plans in the over-age-65 options, and your spouse stays with the under-age-65 plan until he or she turns age 65. This also applies to your spouse who turns age 65 during the year even if you are under age 65.

If you move during the year, contact Employee Benefits with your new address. Some plans for over-age-65 retirees may have restrictions on where you live, and you may need to change to a different medical plan. Call 4-UOHR (612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363) and select option 1 with your new address.

Back to top