Events and Workshops
- Health Benefits Workshop
- Voluntary Retirement Program: Optional Retirement Plan and Section 457
- Pre-Retirement Planning Seminars
- 2018 National Retirement Security Week: Personal Finance Webinars
This workshop is for employees who are interested in learning more about their benefit options—medical, dental, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and disability benefits—and would like assistance before completing their enrollment online. This workshop complements the New Employee Welcome by providing detailed benefits information. New employees should plan to attend the earliest session following their start date at the University.
Please register in advance.
If you have questions, call 612-624-8647, select option 1, to reach Employee Benefits.
|Wednesday, July 17||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank|
|Monday, August 19||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank|
|Friday, September 20||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank|
|Thursday, October 10||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank|
|Thursday, December 12||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank|
If you are not able to attend a scheduled workshop, you can view the slides for the Health Benefits Workshop presentation.
Workshop slides (PDF)
If you are a faculty or staff member paid on a regular or continuing basis, you're eligible to save through the Optional Retirement Plan and the Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan. These two voluntary retirement plans allow you to contribute through payroll withdrawal automatically. Learn more about these two plans and your investment options at an upcoming session.
If you would like to speak to a benefits consultant with specific questions, call 612-624-UOHR (612-624-8647) to speak with someone in the Employee Benefits Service Center. A pdf of the presentation will be made available to review if you are not able to attend in person after the first session.
You can talk directly with representatives from any of the Optional Retirement Plan and 457 Plan investment firms to learn more about specific investment options. Please contact firms for more information on scheduling a meeting. Upcoming campus visits include:
You can schedule a no-obligation meeting with a Securian Retirement Plan Specialist to talk about your retirement needs if you are a Faculty Retirement Plan participant or considering investing with them through the University's Optional Retirement Plan or 457 Plan. You and your spouse or partner can discuss your savings needs, review your current investment mix, withdrawal strategies, and consolidating accounts. In-person meetings are available at Securian’s St. Paul office, on campus in the Twin Cities, Duluth, and Rochester, or via phone. To schedule a meeting, call the Securian Plan Specialist team at 1-800-421-3334, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Pre-Retirement Seminar Recordings
On March 7 and 12, 2019, the University held pre-retirement seminars for employees close to retirement. You can see a recording of select presentations below:
- "Estate Planning" by Gray Plant Mooty
- "Are You Emotionally Ready For Retirement?" by Fidelity
- "Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs) and Other Income Options" by Fidelity
- University of Minnesota Retirees Association (UMRA) and University Retirees Volunteer Center (URVC)
- "Retiree Medical and Medicare" by OHR Benefits
Securian recorded the webinars they presented during the week. You can watch a recording of the webinars here:
- Personal Finance. Learn personal finance strategies to help assess financial challenges, set goals and take action on your savings goals.
- Retirement Savings. Whether you’re 20 or 60, learn steps to take now to help build the retirement you desire. Learn how starting sooner gives you the ability to leverage the advantages of time.
- Retirement Income. Go beyond aspirational thinking by looking at how to fund your retirement with multiple income sources including Social Security. Learn about actions you can take now to help you track successfully toward retirement as you get closer.