Emergency Leaves Available to Employees and Student Workers
Emergency paid leaves are available for eligible faculty, staff, and student workers affected by the COVID crisis. Here is information on the types of leaves and how to use them:
University Emergency Paid Leave
What It Is
The University provides emergency paid leave when employees and student workers:
- Are unable to work or work remotely due to COVID-related illness
- Need to quarantine or isolate because of exposure to COVID-19
- Must care for someone who is ill with COVID-19
- Must care for a child whose school or childcare is closed or unavailable or help with the relocation of a college-age child due to COVID-19 (or if a student worker must take time off to relocate)
Employees: Up to 80 hours (prorated for part-time employees) for eligible employees. In any given week during the emergency, the employee may use up to the number of hours they would normally be scheduled to work.
Student workers: Eligible student workers can take paid emergency leave equal to the number of hours they work on average over a two-week period. So a student who works an average of 15 hours a week would qualify for up to 30 hours of paid leave.
How to Request Leave
Employees: Inform your supervisors and request time off in the My Time tab in MyU. Click on the Request Time Off button. Under "Filter by Type" and "Absence Name," choose "Excused Paid." Under "Reason," choose "Emergency Pandemic."
Students: Inform your supervisor. Either the student worker, their supervisor, or the unit time/absence administrator should enter leave hours equal to the normal schedule on the time sheet.
- Navigate to MyU > My Time > Submit Timesheet.
- Report daily time.
- Using the drop-down menu, update the Time Reporting Code (TRC) to Emergency Pandemic Hourly.
- Click Submit.
Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA)
What It Is
The federal government provides emergency leave to employees and student workers who are unable to work or work remotely for reasons related to COVID-19. (See this notice from the U.S. Department of Labor.) This leave is in addition to the University emergency leave above, if employees or student workers are:
- Under federal, state, or local government-ordered quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19
- Under doctor-advised self-isolation related to COVID-19
- Experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 and seeking a medical diagnosis
- Caring for a family member under a government-ordered quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19
- Caring for a family member under a doctor-advised quarantine or isolation due to COVID-19
- Caring for their child because of a COVID-related school or childcare closure
Employees: Full-time employees can take up to two weeks (80 hours). Eligible part-time employees can take paid sick time equal to the number of hours they work on average over a two-week period. FFCRA also provides up to 10 weeks of paid leave for parents who must care for a child whose school or childcare is closed for reasons related to COVID-19.
Students: Eligible student workers can take paid sick time equal to the number of hours they work on average over a two-week period.
How to Request Leave
Employees: Follow the instructions above for University leave, but choose "Emergency Pandemic" from the menu.
Students: Follow the instructions above for University leave.
For employees and student workers approved for FFCRA leave, OHR will email you asking for general information about the reason for your leave, which is required by the federal government.
If you have questions about COVID-related leaves or eligibility, please contact your unit's HR representative, or email or call the OHR Contact Center at email@example.com, 612-624-8647, or 800-756-2363.