Student Jobs

 Work. With Purpose.

Opportunities to work while you are a student at the University are plentiful and diverse. In fact, the University usually has more job vacancies than applicants. 

Student jobs are a form of financial aid. The University has programs to help you find work that best fits your needs. If you don’t find answers to your questions below, please contact our office:

Student Employment Programs

Am I Eligible for a Student Job?

Any University of Minnesota student enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program can hold a student job, as long as you meet the minimum class credits.

High school students in the Post-Secondary Enrollment Options program are also eligible to work on campus. See the PSEO Student Handbook for more information.

What Do I Need to Start Working?

If you work at the U, you must fill out the I-9 form and provide documents to show that you are eligible for employment on or before your first day of work for pay. You need to complete this step to keep working at the U.

Start your Day One right and come prepared. This government web page shows what documents you may need to bring to your first day of work. Your supervisor will also work with you to explain the I-9 process. Federal law requires you to show original documents (not photocopies).

If you have questions, email or call the OHR Contact Center (, 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363).

Back to top

How Can I Find a Job?

Student jobs at the University are posted on our student job search page. For tips on applying and interviewing, see Find a Student Job

You can also apply for rewarding, off-campus jobs through the Community Service/Work-Study Program (CSP). CSP is an opportunity for students with work-study to work at federal and state agencies and nonprofit organizations that provide a service to the community. CSP jobs might include working with at-risk youth, literacy and math tutoring, and neighborhood or rural development. To explore available CSP jobs, visit GoldPASS powered by Handshake and filter on work-study jobs.

Back to top

How Much Will I Be Paid?

All on-campus student workers must be paid at least $10.33 an hour as of January 1, 2022. Many student jobs on campus pay more than the minimum wage. Review the average student wages by job family and job code.

Students assigned to work shifts of six hours or more that begin before 6:00 a.m. or begin or end after 7:00 p.m. receive a shift differential of an extra 60 cents an hour.


Your earnings as a student worker may be exempt from FICA withholding.

If you’re a resident of Wisconsin, Michigan, or North Dakota, be aware of the income tax reciprocity agreements with these states.

Back to top

Female student tutoring another

When Can I Work?

Depending on your student and registration status, you may not be able to work before or after certain dates. See this chart on Student Employment Begin and End Dates.

Back to top

What Is Work-Study?

Work-study is a state and federally funded program that supports part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students who need the earnings to help meet the costs of attending college.

The work-study application and award process is part of the financial aid package. If you applied for financial aid, you should have received a Financial Aid Award Notice (FAAN) indicating if you were awarded financial aid. You must reply to the FAAN and accept the work-study award to be eligible for work-study employment.

Find more information about applying for work-study on the Student Finances website.

Work-Study Deadlines

Work dates are determined by your work-study award period and registration status. You must stop work immediately when you reach your total award unless your department decides to continue to fund your position as regular student employment. Your award may be canceled if you are not working after a certain amount of time, in order for unused funds to be awarded to another student. If you begin school in the fall semester, plan to get a work-study position by October 31. For questions about your work-study award, contact the Office of Student Finance at 612-624-1878.

Work-Study Pay

You receive your work-study award through your work-study job in the form of a paycheck distributed every two weeks.

You may earn up to the total amount of your work-study award in gross pay. Each pay period, your gross earnings will be subtracted from your total work-study award until your work-study award is depleted.

Back to top

Student Employment Policies

These policies apply to students working in on-campus jobs. Students employed in off-campus positions are subject to the rules and policies of the company for which they work.


Compensation and Classification



Workplace Rules

Back to top