Reclassification Process and Policies
Either a department or an individual employee can request a reclassification of a job if:
- An employee's duties and responsibilities have changed substantially due to changes in organization, work, staffing requirements, or technology
- The classification assigned to the position may be inappropriate or was initially classified incorrectly
An employee request will need approval before it reaches OHR for review. If you're not sure whether to reclassify, you can discuss the options with a compensation consultant by emailing email@example.com or calling 4-UOHR (612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363). You may also want to review job classification descriptions.
Sometimes a reclassification request is motivated by the desire to reward a top performer. These efforts are more appropriately recognized through merit or in-range adjustments.
The reclassification process depends which bargaining unit the position belongs to. For information on how to reclassify a job, click on the appropriate employee group:
To apply to reclassify your job, follow these steps (make sure to save the form as you go):
- Employee completes the Classification Review Request (pdf) form, types their signature on the form, and forwards it to their supervisor.
- Supervisor reviews the form for completeness and accuracy, adds comments or additional information as needed, and approves the request by typing their signature on the form.
- Supervisor forwards the Classification Review Request form, employee's previous position description, and a current organizational chart to the department head/dean/designee for review and approval.
- Head/dean/designee forwards documents to the HR director for review and approval.
- Once all approvals have been received, email documents to OHR Compensation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please email the review request form in its original format rather than by printing and scanning. Scanning the document will not allow the full content to be readable.
- Reclassification Process
- Reclassification Contractual Policies for AFSCME, Teamsters, and Civil Service
- Reclassifying Student Positions
These steps will guide you through the reclassification process:
- Employees in AFSCME Health Care, Teamsters, or these specific AFSCME Technical jobs—4953 Assistant Research Vet Tech, 4955 Research Vet Tech, and 4958 Senior Research Vet Tech—complete the JRQ form. Employees in AFSCME Clerical and Technical positions complete the JEQ questionnaire (pdf) and answer sheet. You can view the current classification point ranges (pdf) for the AFSCME Clerical and Technical units.
- The JEQ/JRQ form is then submitted to the supervisor.
- The supervisor completes the appropriate section(s) of the JEQ/JRQ.
- The supervisor signs and submits the JEQ/JRQ to the department head along with:
- A job description
- An organizational chart
- The department head then submits the following to the dean or vice president for approval:
- The JEQ/JRQ form
- The job description
- The organizational chart
- The JEQ/JRQ, job description, and organizational chart should be emailed to the Compensation Department of the Office of Human Resources at email@example.com.
- In Compensation, a compensation analyst will:
- Complete a job evaluation of the position
- Determine the appropriate classification
Once the position has been reviewed and a determination has been made, the reclassification recommendation of the compensation analyst is final and will be implemented unless the decision is appealed by the employee within the required time frame. For specific appeal policies for each employee group, see the reclassification policies listed under "Reclassification Contractual Policies" below.
To find the specific reclassification policies for your units, consult the contracts posted in the Contracts & Administrative Interpretations section.
Use the following policy, process, and form for reclassifications of student positions: