Reclassification Process and Policies
Either a department or an individual employee can request a reclassification of a job if:
- An employee's duties and responsibilities have changed substantially due to changes in organization, work, staffing requirements, or technology
- The classification assigned to the position may be inappropriate or was initially classified incorrectly
An employee request will need approval before it reaches OHR for review. If you're not sure whether to reclassify, you can discuss the options with a compensation consultant by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 4-UOHR (612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363). You may also want to review job classification descriptions.
Sometimes a reclassification request is motivated by the desire to reward a top performer. These efforts are more appropriately recognized through merit or in-range adjustments.
The reclassification process depends which bargaining unit the position belongs to. For information on how to reclassify a job, click on the appropriate employee group:
To apply to reclassify a job, follow these steps:
- Employee completes a simple Classification Review Request (.doc) form and the Position Description Template (.doc) and signs them.
- Employee forwards the completed documents to the supervisor.
- Supervisor reviews documents for completeness and accuracy and adds comments or additional information as needed.
- Supervisor signs documents and attaches the old description of the position and the unit's current organizational chart.
- Supervisor forwards all documents to the department head/dean/designee and/or HR director for approval and signature.
- Once all approvals have been received, documents should be submitted through this OHR Compensation email address: email@example.com.
- Reclassification Process
- Reclassification Contractual Policies for AFSCME, Teamsters, and Civil Service
- Reclassifying Student Positions
These steps will guide you through the reclassification process:
- The employee fills out and signs the JEQ or JRQ form (the type of form is determined by the current classification of the position). Note: A JEQ form must be completed for classifications that have point ranges assigned to them.
- The employee submits the JEQ/JRQ form to the supervisor.
- The supervisor completes the appropriate sections of the JEQ/JRQ.
- The supervisor signs and submits the JEQ/JRQ to the department head along with:
- A job description
- An organizational chart
- The department head submits the following to the dean or vice president for approval:
- The JEQ/JRQ form
- The job description
- The organizational chart
- The JEQ/JRQ, job description, and organizational chart are sent to the Compensation Department of the Office of Human Resources.
- In Compensation, a compensation analyst will:
- Complete a job evaluation of the position
- Determine the appropriate classification
Once the position has been reviewed and a determination has been made, the reclassification recommendation of the compensation analyst is final and will be implemented unless the decision is appealed by the employee within the required time frame. For specific appeal policies for each employee group, see the reclassification policies listed under "Reclassification Contractual Policies" below.
These are the documents you'll need to classify or reclassify a position:
Unit 6 (18xx)
Unit 7 (49xx)
|AFSCME Health Care
Unit 4 (5xxx)
* NOTE: A JEQ must be completed for classifications that have point ranges assigned to them.
In order to find the specific reclassification policies for your units, consult the contracts posted in the Contracts & Administrative Interpretations section.
Use the following policy, process, and form for reclassifications of student positions: