Manage Your Beneficiary Designation
If you do not name a beneficiary, your current beneficiary is “default.” That means Securian will pay the death benefit in the following order of priority:
- your lawful spouse, if living; otherwise,
- your natural or legally adopted children in equal shares, if living; otherwise,
- your parents in equal shares, if living; otherwise,
- the personal representative of your estate.
Benefits paid out using the plan default require more claim processing time so the claim payment could be delayed. Even though the default list may work for you, it is advisable to name your beneficiary and include the contact information online. To start, log on to the LifeBenefits web page and follow the steps:
Your user ID is the letters "UM" followed by your seven-digit employee ID number.
Your initial password is your eight-digit date of birth followed by the last four digits of your Social Security number.
After your initial log in, you will be prompted to change your password. You are strongly encouraged to set up password help at that time.
- Confirm or update your beneficiary for University-paid and any employee-paid optional life insurance coverage.
You will receive immediate confirmation of all online transactions. In addition, Securian will mail a paper confirmation of beneficiary designations made online or on paper to your home address.