Manage Your Beneficiary Designation
If you do not name a beneficiary, your beneficiary will be set to the plan default. That means Securian Financial will pay the death benefit in the following order of priority:
- your lawful spouse, if living; otherwise,
- your natural or legally adopted children in equal shares, if living; otherwise,
- your parents in equal shares, if living; otherwise,
- your estate.
Benefits paid out using the plan default will require more claim processing time at a very difficult time. Even though the default list may work for you, it is recommended you name your beneficiary and include the contact information online to make the claims payment happen more quickly. To start, visit LifeBenefits and follow the steps:
- Your user ID is the letters “UM” followed by your seven-digit employee ID number
- Your initial password is your eight-digit date of birth, followed by the last four digits of your Social Security number. If you experience problems, call Securian at 866-293-6047.
- After your initial log in, you’ll be prompted to change your password.
- Confirm or update your beneficiary for University-paid and any employee-paid optional life insurance coverage any time on this website
You’ll receive immediate confirmation of all online transactions. Securian Financial will also mail a beneficiary change confirmation to your home address—whether you make selections online or via paper.
Learn more about selecting your beneficiary and what to consider if naming children or someone with special needs as your beneficiary by viewing the naming a beneficiary video: