Tax Return Information—Nonresident Aliens
The University of Minnesota doesn't provide tax advice, but International Student and Scholar Services provides tax information and software on their site to help sort through tax rules and forms affecting nonresident aliens.
If you received wages or a nonqualified scholarship or fellowship from the University of Minnesota, after year's end you will receive a Form W-2, Form 1042-S, or both from Payroll Services. You will need these forms when filing your annual tax return.
If you need a copy of your form, please submit a Request for Duplicate Form 1042-S (pdf) to:
319 15th Ave. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55454
Changes to OHR Contact Center and Donhowe In-Person Services
Effective immediately, and until further notice, we are making these changes to OHR's in-person services in the Donhowe Building:
- Contact Center phone lines are closed.
- The Contact Center is processing emails from the following email addresses: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org
- I-9 appointments for new foreign national employees will still be held at Donhowe. Future appointments will be scheduled as needed. Foreign national employees should make an appointment by emailing the OHR Contact Center at email@example.com before coming to Donhowe.
- Employees will not be able to pick up checks, W-2 reprints, and 1042-S reprints in person. These will be automatically mailed.
- Be aware that the Donhowe Building, as with other campus buildings, requires a UCard to enter even during regular business hours.