How to Advertise for Open Jobs
Job Advertising Partnership
The University of Minnesota partners with two firms to improve the quality, diversity, and quantity of applicants for vacant positions.
- MMMC should be used to place targeted diversity advertisements and Bayard Advertising should be used to place mainstream advertisements.
- The services of both media consultants are free and they charge only the current ad rate for each publication.
- To receive a discount when working with the MMMC, you must mention that the University of Minnesota is a member of the Upper Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (UMW-HERC).
Minnesota Multicultural Media Consortium
Bayard Advertising Agency, Inc.
Procedures for Placing Job Ads
- Contact MMMC or Bayard Advertising with open position information via email. Include the requisition number, where to apply, equal opportunity statement, and indicate whether the ad will be an in-column or display ad. Also include your phone number and billing address. If you would like an account string or other accounting number referenced on your invoice, let the account representative know that when you make your advertising request. For many positions, you will want to contact both MMMC and Bayard Advertising.
- Consultants from MMMC and Bayard will write your ad or, you can write your own ad with their input. Graphic designers on staff at both firms will help design display ads.
- Work with the consultants to determine the publications or sites and specific sections for the ad. You can select among local or national newspapers, Internet ads, trade journals, or other media options.
- Before the ad runs, you’ll receive a copy of the ad with each publication's cost estimate. Changes to the ad will be made based on your instructions.
- The ad will run in the selected publications.
- You will receive an invoice and proof of publication the following week from each agency used.