Hiring Non-Academic Staff to Teach

The following procedures provide for hiring Civil Service staff to perform a teaching function. Teaching as used in this context includes providing classroom instruction for courses that supplement the Faculty offerings and/or expertise of the Faculty. Classroom instruction may be for credit and non-credit courses, workshops, seminars, and conferences. Requirements for overtime pay are also addressed in conjunction with these procedures.

Hiring a Current Civil Service Employee on an Additional Appointment to Perform a Teaching Function

The Civil Service employee should be hired in the teaching specialist job code/title series or the lecturer series. Determination should be based on appropriate qualifications in alignment with the teaching specialist and lecturer classification descriptions. Employees must meet the minimum qualifications for the class that is chosen. The appointment type of annual renewable contract (K) is to be used if the instruction is for credit coursework. If the instruction is for non-credit coursework, an appointment type of non-credit teaching/other professional work (Z) is to be used. An appointment term of flexible hourly, summer research, lump sum (Z) is to be used.

Overtime Pay

If the Civil Service employee's primary job is exempt, there is no overtime pay required. If the Civil Service employee's primary job is non-exempt, then all work the employee performs will be considered non-exempt and overtime pay is required for work in the teaching appointment. Overtime is to be paid out at the higher amount whether it is the non-exempt or exempt appointment. Because of the requirement to pay overtime, this appointment cannot be paid out as a lump sum, but rather set up as an hourly rate.

Documenting a Teaching Function when the Employee's Civil Service Position Includes Some Percentage of Teaching

The employee's Civil Service position may incorporate some teaching responsibility. This function would typically be no more than 20% to 30% of the individuals job duties. In order to report the teaching function, a courtesy title in the teaching specialist job code/title series or lecturer title series, depending on qualifications, is to be used. The appointment type of other (0) is to be used with the courtesy title.