The Twin Cities area provides a range of education choices from private schools to magnet schools, community schools, and charter schools.
Within the public realm, the State of Minnesota offers the Statewide Enrollment Options Program. This program, more commonly known as “Open Enrollment,” allows a student to attend a school in a district outside the district in which he/she resides. For example, if the student lives in Minneapolis, he/she can apply to attend a school in St. Paul.
More than 100,000 Minnesota high school students have used the state's Post Secondary Enrollment Options, a law that allows high school juniors and seniors to attend college for free, full or part-time. Students may continue to participate in high school activities while they participate in PSEO. Many high schools also offer Advanced Placement, College in the Schools, and International Baccalaureate courses. Ask the high school(s) that interest you about those courses.
University educators who are experts on Twin Cities' schools can help you get a better sense of educational opportunities in and near Minneapolis and St. Paul. Contact RAP for a referral.
Dr. Joe Nathan, director of the Center for School Change, can also talk with you about your education options. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To prepare for your conversation with Dr. Nathan, consider your responses to these questions (pdf) about your child and school preferences. There is a charge for Dr. Nathan's service.
Pre K - 12
- MN Dept of Education
- Minneapolis Public Schools
- St. Paul Public Schools
- Minnesota Association of Charter Schools (public)
- Catholic Schools
- Minnesota Association of Independent Schools
- Search for Preschools/Child Care
Colleges and Universities
- Anoka-Ramsey Community College
- Art Schools (as listed on ArtSchools.com)
- Augsburg College
- Bethel University
- Century College
- Concordia University
- Dakota County Technical College
- Inver Hills Community College
- Hamline University
- Macalester College
- Metropolitan State University
- Minneapolis College of Art and Design
- Minneapolis Community & Technical College
- Minnesota Private College Council
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities
- MitchelJHamline School of Law
- Normandale Community College
- Northwestern University
- Saint Mary's University
- Saint Paul Technical College
- St. Catherine University
- University of Minnesota
- University of St. Thomas