Information for Hiring Departments

The Relocation Assistance Program provides prospective faculty and staff with personalized support and resources to welcome them and their families to the Twin Cities. The pdf Recruiting Relocation Tips summarizes relocation information departments can use to inform their recruiting process. You can find answers to common relocation questions below.

Who can use RAP's services?

RAP's services are available to new hires or final candidates in the following classifications:

  • Faculty members
  • Professional and Administrative (P&A) staff, including Postdocs
  • Civil Service staff
  • Labor Represented staff

Due to staffing issues, RAP is only able to offer limited spouse/partner job networking assistance to postdocs.

Back to top

When in the search process should a department, unit, or individual contact RAP?

The sooner, the better. People sometimes contact RAP even before a position is posted. Individuals considering the University of Minnesota form their opinions early. They have questions and concerns long before they reach final candidate status. RAP can help clarify misperceptions and provide them with information that will influence their decisions. Be sure to mention RAP's website in the acknowledgment letter you send to people who have applied for a position.

In the acknowledgment letter, you may also want to highlight RAP's spouse/partner employment assistance. Employment prospects for a spouse/partner often influence a candidate's interest in a position. See Spouse/Partner Employment for additional details.

To those unfamiliar with Minnesota, the state is a "frozen tundra." Metro area tours are an effective way to show candidates the beauty of our metro area and its numerous cultural attractions. Tours are available through Relocation Today, a relocation company that works closely with RAP. The tours are $150 and should be scheduled directly with Relocation Today well in advance of candidates' visits.

Back to top

What can RAP do to assist a department or unit in its search?

RAP can provide information to departments, units, and individuals on topics such as:

  • University benefits, policies, programs, and services
  • Moving companies
  • Housing—rental rates, rental assistance services, home prices, etc.
  • Maps and commute times
  • Neighborhoods
  • Partner/spouse employment
  • Childcare
  • Education – preschool through college/university
  • Diversity
  • Social communities
  • Minnesota economy and taxes
  • State and local websites
  • Arts and entertainment
  • Sports, parks, and recreation
  • Parking and transportation
  • Shopping and other attractions
  • Weather

Personalized Service

New and prospective employees and their families may request personalized and confidential assistance from RAP to address their specific concerns and questions. Individuals are often uncomfortable discussing personal needs with a search committee or new colleagues. In the past, RAP has provided information on such topics as elder housing, disability services, religious communities, Montessori schools, and rowing clubs.

Spouse/Partner Employment Assistance

The employability of a spouse or partner is a major issue for most candidates—and one that many are hesitant to raise with a search committee. Encourage applicants to contact RAP to confidentially discuss the issue. RAP will provide spouses/partners of candidates or new hires guidance in a job search, including networking assistance, job search resources, and referrals to campus and community resources. Each fall, RAP offers a job search workshop for the spouses/partners of new employees.

Assistance in Recruitment for Diversity

RAP can also provide information about diversity resources, and connect candidates and new hires with multicultural communities. RAP partners with the State of Minnesota's Council on Latino Affairs, Council on Asian-Pacific Minnesotans, and Council for Minnesotans of African Heritage to supply updated information on local resources  Be sure and connect faculty and staff of color with the U’s Affinity Groups.

Housing Assistance

Finding suitable housing is the main concern of candidates and new hires. Housing influences school choices, commute times and options, and spouse/partner employment. RAP strongly encourages you to assist new hires in their search for a home, especially those moving from out of the country or those who will not be able to make a special house-hunting trip.

Cost-of-Living. Candidates will need reliable housing information to determine if the salaries they are offered are comparable with the cost of living in the Twin Cities. Refer candidates to the for cost-of-living comparisons. The median home price in the Twin Cities is $268,000 and the average rent for a one-bedroom apartment is $1,200 a month.

Pillsbury Court. This University-owned apartment complex for new faculty and staff fills early in the year and has a long waiting list. Encourage new hires to apply to Pillsbury Court, but apprise them of the low likelihood of them obtaining a spot. Visit the Office of Housing and Residential Life website for Pillsbury Court details and an online application.

Housing and Rental Assistance. RAP partners with a local relocation company, Relocation Today, to provide house purchase and rental assistance. Relocation Today offers real-estate focused tours of the metro area and purchasing or rental assistance. Fees vary according to the services rendered and either the candidate/new hire or your department/unit can cover the charge. If your candidate or new hire wants to meet with a real estate agent or the rental specialist while they are in town, call early to schedule with Relocation Today. RAP does not schedule appointments, you must contact Relocation Today directly at:

Relocation Today
Mary Lou Cohen

Temporary or Short-term Housing. Relocation Today maintains a list of temporary housing. The homes on the list range from townhomes to shared-living situations and, for the most part, are not advertised elsewhere. Many of the landlords are seeking only University employees as tenants. Some of the homes are furnished and others are not furnished. Short-term housing is very limited in the Twin Cities. Leases for less than one year are difficult to find. For new hires coming to the U of M on short-term assignments, check RAP's temporary housing list and the Office of Housing and Residential Life's temporary listings. Extended-stay hotels, Airbnb rentals, and other forms of short-term housing are a practical and convenient option, but run about $3,000 a month.

Other housing resources can be found on the Housing page.

Back to top

What else should we tell candidates and new hires?

  • Child Care. The University of Minnesota's Child Care Center is an excellent facility but has limited openings. There are nearly 350 children on the waiting list. Encourage new faculty and staff to apply to the Center, but to also consider other options. The University provides access to free child care referral services and offers employees dependent day care flexible spending accounts. See Child Care for more information.
  • Health Insurance. New hires are eligible for health insurance on the first day of the month after their date of hire.  For example, if an employee starts work on August 2, their benefits will be in effect on September 1.  This means that new employees will have to secure bridge coverage for the interim four weeks. Encourage new hires to contact Employee Benefits for more information.
  • Moving. Depending on the terms the job offer, new employees may receive a moving allowance. If so, they will receive the allowance as a lump sum in their first paycheck. This sum will be reported as income and subject to tax withholding.  See the University Policy on Relocating New Employee for details and forms.  
  • International Moves. A new hire coming from out of the country may require extra-departmental assistance. It is likely that the person will not have the opportunity to search for housing before they arrive. Therefore, they will need a "housing advocate"—someone from the department who is willing to look at apartments or houses, make recommendations, and secure a unit. Unlike in other cities around the world, it is very difficult for someone to find immediate housing in Minneapolis and St. Paul.

International faculty and staff are also confronted with a host of other relocation issues (e.g., getting a driver's license, obtaining a Social Security number, and purchasing 120-volt appliances). For additional assistance with international hires, contact the Office of International Student and Scholar Services, 612-626-7100.

Back to top