Spouse/Partner Employment

University professionals are often members of dual-career couples. When relocating, the employment needs of the spouse or partner are an important consideration. The Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) offers support and resources to help them explore employment options in this community. Spouses or partners can take advantage of this support for up to a year after relocating to the Twin Cities. 

Go to:

University of Minnesota Employment

The University of Minnesota has policies that permit hiring a spouse or partner without a searchThese policies may help the primary hire to raise the issue of bridge funding and also encourage open dialogue with their respective hiring department about possible options for spouse or partner employment. 

When you apply for a particular U of M job within the first year of your arrival, choose "Relocation Assistance Program" under "How did you learn of this job?". This information on your application will indicate to departments that you are the accompanying partner of a new faculty or staff member who has relocated to Minnesota. In addition, you may request a standard support letter from RAP that can be attached to all your applications.

For more information, contact RAP at 612-626-0775 or 800-227-8636.

Upper Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium

HERC logo

The University of Minnesota is a member of the Upper Midwest Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (UMW HERC). This consortium is made up of more than 50 institutions in the Upper Midwest that work together to support dual-career and diversity hiring. Higher education job seekers may submit their resume/CV to HERC.

Bridge Funding

To enhance the University's opportunities to recruit and retain highly qualified faculty, the University's Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost administers a bridge fund for spousal/partner hires.  

African american couple sitting on a couch looking at their laptop

Back to top

Networking in the Twin Cities

Through a well-developed network of volunteers, alumni, U of M employees, and professional associations, RAP can connect you with professionals in your field. RAP works closely with the University's Office of University Economic Development to identify employment contacts within the public and private sectors.

You may also want to become a member of LinkedIn, a business-oriented social networking site and join the U of M Alumni Association group. 

Spouse/Partner Job Search Workshop: Conducting a Job Search in the Twin Cities

Each year the Relocation Assistance Program hosts a job search strategies workshop for the accompanying spouses or partners of new faculty and staff who have relocated from another state or country within the last year. The workshop includes tips for writing effective CV/resumes, networking, and interviewing. Participants learn more about the services RAP provides and how to navigate the U of M employment system. Plus, participants have the opportunity to meet and network with other new residents and job seekers and learn more about events and attractions in the Twin Cities.

Download the 2018 workshop presentation.

Employment Partners

Several major Twin Cities companies and public entities partner with the University to help spouses or partners identify opportunities within their organizations. To learn more about an organization, determine its fit with your career goals, and be connected to its University liaison, view the list of organizations. When contacting an organization, be sure to mention your affiliation with the University, and that you were referred by the Relocation Assistance Program.

Minnesota Company and Nonprofit Resources

Directories for Minnesota's industries, companies, nonprofit organizations, foundations, etc., are available through the University of Minnesota Libraries. Use these resources to identify possible places of employment, learn more about prospective employers, and follow regional hiring trends.

For a tutorial on using the business databases watch Ace the Job Search by Using the University of Minnesota Libraries.

Back to top

Resume and Career Development

Resume or Curriculum Vitae

RAP staff will also help you update your resume or curriculum vitae and write cover letters.

Tips for Updating and Perfecting Your Job Search Documents

International Spouses/Partners

Being an international spouse or partner adds another dimension to the job search. The U of M Office of International Student and Scholar Services and Career Development Network have resources that will provide guidance for your search. 

Visa or personal issues can sometimes prevent immediate employment in the U.S. Learn how volunteering (pdf) can help you gain experience and meet people in your employment field.

Back to top

Balancing Work and Family

  • The Employee Assistance Program provides free professional consultation and referral services for University employees and their family members who are experiencing work or personal difficulties.
  • The Wellbeing Program offers support for faculty and staff in managing their work, family, and personal responsibilities.

Building Your Social Connections

Whether you are new to the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, returning home, or looking to get better connected, MSP HELLO, a project of the Make It. MSP. initiative, was designed for you. Free events and resources give you a chance to experience the area, connect with others, and expand your personal network in your new hometown.