What Do I Need to Start Working?

If you work at the U, you must fill out the I-9 form and provide the actual documents (not copies!) to show that you are eligible for employment on or before your first day of work for pay. You need to complete this step to keep working at the U.

Start your Day One right and come prepared. This government web page shows what documents you may need to bring to your first day of work. Your employer will also work with you to explain the I-9 process. The federal government requires original documents; photocopies cannot be accepted for the I-9.

If you have questions, email or call the OHR Contact Center (OHR@umn.edu, 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363).