Find a Student Job
Eligibility for Student Employment
Before applying for a student position, review the eligibility information to make sure you are able to hold a student position.
Steps to Finding a Student Job
1. Search current openings.
- Online postings are for all students.
- If you have never held a job at the University of Minnesota, you will need to create an account (pdf) to apply. This account is separate from your U of M ID and password.
- Job listings are updated daily.
- Jobs listed as Work-Study Only are limited to those applicants who have a work-study award.
2. Review the job requirements and description.
- Make sure the work interests you, that you meet the qualifications, and that you can work the schedule given, if applicable. If you have questions about the job posting, contact the employer directly.
- Employers will list the minimum qualifications, experience required, schedule, pay rate, and job duties.
3. Schedule an interview.
- Hiring managers may contact you to schedule an interview.
- During the interview, let the employer know the skills, abilities, and experience you have that make you a good candidate.
- Don't delay! Interviews may not be given to all applicants.
- The job posting will tell you whether to call or email the employer. The employer will explain the screening and hiring process. Call the employer if you are unable to interview at the time scheduled or are delayed.
4. Be prepared for the interview.
Questions an employer might ask:
- What hours are you available to work?
- What is your class schedule for the term?
- How many credits are you taking?
- What type of work experience have you had?
- What is your major?
- Do you have work-study funds?
- Be on time.
- Smile and relax.
- Speak clearly.
- Think positively.
- Dress appropriately.
- Bring any materials the employers ask for (such as resume, application, writing samples, etc.).
5. Be persistent.
- View the listings each day and apply promptly for the ones you're interested in.
- Apply for any job you are qualified for.
- Network with instructors, departments, and other students.
If you're having difficulty finding a job because of your schedule or other reasons, contact a staff member in Talent Acquisition (firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363). You may not always find your "dream" job immediately.