Keeping Smiles Bright for Children and Adults
One of the key things you can do for a healthy smile is to visit your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. Your dentist helps to keep your smile in the best shape and can watch for any other health issues.
More Flouride Options for Kids and Teens
It’s also important for kids to see their dentist on a regular basis, too. In 2014, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) published a recommendation that “primary care clinicians apply fluoride varnish to the primary teeth of all infants and children starting at the age of primary tooth eruption.” The Minnesota Department of Health now requires fluoride varnish at all child and teen checkups. Treatments can be included during a visit with your medical (or primary) care provider or in the cleaning visit with your dental provider.
Practice good oral hygiene at home with these tips:
- Brush twice a day for at least two minutes with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily to get rid of plaque in areas your toothbrush can’t reach.
- Eat healthy to get essential nutrients like vitamins A and C that are known to help prevent gum disease. Avoid eating foods and drinks that are high in sugar, too.
- Avoid cigarettes and smokeless tobacco that can contribute to gum disease and oral cancer.
- Visit your dentist regularly for cleanings and exams. It’s the most effective way to detect other health issues such as gum disease, digestive disorders, heart disease and more.
Just remember that good dental health starts with you. If you follow these simple tips, you can help to keep your mouth clean and healthy. Learn more about healthy dental tips for you and your family on the American Dental Association website.
Shop, Scan & Save When You Buy Healthy Food with Medica Healthy Savings
Want to eat healthier and save money? The Medica Healthy Savings program makes it easy.* Each week, your Healthy Savings card and app are automatically loaded with new savings on healthy foods like fruits, vegetables and proteins. Just scan your card or app at participating stores, including Cash Wise, Coborn’s, Cub Foods, Festival Foods (Minnesota locations), Hornbacher’s, Hy-Vee, Kowalski’s Markets, Lunds & Byerlys and Mackenthun’s (Waconia) during checkout and save instantly.
Healthy Savings is available to members who live near participating stores. Choose to have weekly savings emailed, or view them on the Healthy Savings website or mobile app. Download the app from the App Store or Google Play. App features include:
- Customized messages
- Intelligent list options
- Mobile barcode
- Push notifications and more
Learn more at medicahealthysavings.com or call Customer Service at the number on the back of your Medica ID card.
* Medica members who live near participating stores are automatically enrolled in the program and receive a Healthy Savings member card.
Questions About Your Benefits?
New employees can learn about their benefit options with the 2019 Guide for UPlan Benefits Enrollment (pdf). The 2019 Medical Summary (pdf) and 2019 Dental Summary of Benefits (pdf) are available for current employees.
Call 4-UOHR (612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363) and select option 1 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.