Open Enrollment

Take Action During Open Enrollment

November 1 to December 2, 2019 

Go to:

Preparing for Open Enrollment

Helpful Resources


Information for Retirees, Former Employees, and Current Federal Employees

Post-Enrollment Information

What Is Open Enrollment?

Open Enrollment is the annual period when the University announces benefit plan changes and biweekly contribution rates for the next calendar year. The choices you make during Open Enrollment take effect on January 1. Open Enrollment is generally the only time of year that you can change your benefits options, unless you have a qualifying life event like marriage, childbirth, or divorce.

What’s New for 2020?

A few things have changed in your Open Enrollment options from last year:

    • Medical plan rates are changing for 2020. 
    • Dental plan rates for 2020 will stay the same as your current 2019 rates, but there are important changes to plan options. You should go the Open Enrollment portal in MyU to confirm your dental coverage election for 2020. 
    • Both Additional Employee Life and Spouse Life rates will decrease as of 1/1/2020.
    • Employees can increase Additional Employee Life up to $25,000 without underwriting, with the total not exceeding the plan maximum. 
    • Employees can increase Spouse Life up to $5,000, with total not exceeding $25,000, without underwriting. 
    • Starting 1/1/2020, the only life insurance premiums with imputed income are Basic Life amounts over $50,000. 

IMPORTANT: Enroll with Delta Dental 

As of January 1, 2020, HealthPartners Dental will no longer be a UPlan option.

    • Anyone currently enrolled in HealthPartners Dental who uses the Open Enrollment online portal through MyU to submit changes to their benefits but does not select a dental plan is waiving their dental coverage for 2020.
    • Anyone currently enrolled in HealthPartners Dental who does not enter the Open Enrollment online portal and submit any changes to any benefits for 2020 will be enrolled in a similar Delta Dental plan.

What Do I Have to Do for Open Enrollment?

That depends on whether or not you want to change any of your benefits:

"I don’t want to change my benefits."

Here are two things to double-check to see if you need to act: 

1) Do you have UPlan HealthPartners Dental or UPlan HealthPartners Dental Choice in 2019?

Yes: You'll need to choose a Delta Dental plan. You can get help making your choice by calling Delta Dental's Customer Service, or by visiting their website and using the "Find a Dentist" tool:

Delta Dental
1-888-853-7570 (TTY)

No: You won't need to update your dental plan.

2) Do you have a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) now, or want to select a Flexible Spending Account for 2020?

Yes: Since Flexible Spending Accounts (Health Care FSA and the Dependent Daycare FSA) need to be renewed every year, you’ll need to enroll annually during Open Enrollment using the online process to ensure you have an FSA in 2020.

No: If you do not want a Flexible Spending Account for 2020, you do not need to make that selection during 2020.

"I want to make changes to my benefits."

You can change several things during open enrollment: 

  • Choose a different medical or dental plan.
  • Add or cancel coverage for your spouse or dependent children.
  • Enroll in a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) so you can use pre-tax dollars for health care or dependent daycare expenses—participants must enroll every year!
  • Add or increase the amount of your short-term disability by $100 or $200 without evidence of good health, not to exceed the maximum.
  • Cancel your short-term disability coverage.
  • Add or increase the amount of long-term disability insurance if you are a Civil Service or Labor Represented employee.
  • Increase Additional Employee Life insurance up to $25,000 without underwriting (up to the plan maximum; cannot have been previously declined).
  • Add Child Life insurance without evidence of good health.
  • Decrease or cancel Additional Life insurance.
  • Increase Spouse Life insurance by up to $5,000, with total not exceeding $25,000, without underwriting (your spouse cannot have been previously declined).

Your Open Enrollment Options

You can learn more about each of the available benefit options including plan descriptions and rates on the Your Open Enrollment Options page.

Employee Health & Benefits Fairs

Would you like to talk in-person to U of M benefits administrators, such as Medica or Delta Dental? The fairs are a perfect opportunity to do that, with flu shots available at select locations.

  • October 28, Crookston,
    11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.,
    Bede Ballroom
  • October 30, Duluth,
    10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.,
    Kirby Student Center Ballroom*
  • November 4, Morris,
    10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.,
    Oyate Hall, UMM Student Center*
  • November 6, Minneapolis,
    10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.,
    Great Hall, Coffman Memorial Union*
  • November 7, St. Paul,
    10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.,
    North Star Ballroom, St. Paul Student Center*

*flu shots available on-site

Open Enrollment Brochure

This brochure explains what benefits can be changed or selected during Open Enrollment and includes the 2020 medical plan rates. It also contains the annual Important Notice from the UPlan Medical Program regarding Prescription Drug Coverage and Medicare.

Back to top


What is an ACO Plan? 


Preparing for Open Enrollment 

Open Enrollment: Changes You Can Make 


How to Enroll During Open Enrollment

Discovery Benefits Flexible Spending Accounts

Optum Bank HSA Accounts

Back to top

Help with Online Enrollment

The OHR Contact Center staff can help you with your benefits questions and enrollment. Email them at

For those who don’t have ready access to a computer, the OHR Contact Center staff can provide a paper Open Enrollment form. You can contact them by calling 612-624-8647 or 1-800-756-2363, or emailing

How Do I Enroll?

To complete your Open Enrollment, follow these steps:

  1. First, take some time to review all your benefits options. You’ll save time online if you know the changes you want to make and have your dependents’ birth dates and Social Security numbers on hand before visiting the Open Enrollment website.
  2. Log in to MyU with your Internet ID and password and click on the My Benefits tab; then click on the link that says “Benefits Enrollment.”
  3. Select the “Open Enrollment” event and follow the directions to make your new selections. Add each of your dependents to each specific benefit that you want them to have.
  4. After you make your selections, you will see a “Submit Benefits Choices” page. Read the authorization and be sure to click “Submit” at the bottom of this page. It will take you to the confirmation page, which means you successfully enrolled.
  5. If you’re not ready to submit your selections, you can save them, and then come back before December 2 to complete your enrollment. Be sure to click “Submit” on the “Submit Benefits Choices” page.
  6. Made a mistake or changed your mind after you hit “Submit?” If it is still during Open Enrollment, you can go back into the system and make changes.
  7. Look for a confirmation email one to three business days after you submit your benefit selections. This email will provide you with instructions on how to review your benefits selections for 2020. 

Open Enrollment Information for Retirees

Open Enrollment Information for Former Employees

Open Enrollment Information for Current Federal Employees

Member ID Cards

You’ll receive new member ID cards at your home address from your Medica medical plan and Delta Dental plan. The Prime Therapeutics pharmacy program will send new member ID cards only if you’re a new enrollee or if you changed coverage levels or plan options.

Verifying Dependent Eligibility

If you add new dependents to your medical or dental plan, you will be asked to provide documents to verify that they are eligible. Accepted documentation includes a marriage certificate, birth certificate, or evidence of legal custody or adoption, or tax forms.

Back to top