Events and Workshops
Virtual Seminars and Classes
Financial Health and Debt Solution Webinars
LSS Financial, the official financial counseling provider to the University, offers free webinars for building strong financial skills and shrinking debt and loans. Coming soon:
- Foundations of Financial Wellbeing, Summer Session 2. Develop your financial wellbeing by learning strategies to spend less than you earn and end the paycheck-to-paycheck cycle; reduce debt; increase assets; increase your buying power with improved credit; and avoid scams and identity theft. The course is five 60-minute classes, featuring interactive software (you can sign up for one or multiple classes; follow the link to see course descriptions). You can also earn Wellbeing Points. 5 Zoom sessions on Wednesdays at 11:30 a.m. from July 21 to August 18
- Money & Minimalism. Minimalism is a growing philosophy and lifestyle that people are choosing over conspicuous consumption, debilitating debt, and over-scheduled calendars. Explore ways to declutter your living space, simplify your money life, and get rid of what’s anchoring you down. Zoom session at noon July 7
- Money Teamwork for Couples. Money can often be a source of friction for couples. Whether you're in a new relationship or together for decades, if you and your partner want to get on the same page with money, this hour-long class is a great first step. It will discuss ground rules for conversations, common money beliefs and attitudes, and money management strategies that you can work on together. Zoom session at noon July 15
Fidelity Investments, the University's retirement savings recordkeeper, is offering several webinar opportunities in June where you can to talk directly with a Fidelity financial planner.
- Ask Fidelity. Would you like to get a handle on your debt, once and for all? Discover real strategies to help you prioritize what to pay off first and tips for managing your spending. Join an upcoming virtual Ask Fidelity session where your local Fidelity retirement planner will share important updates about your workplace savings plan and provide you with resources to stay on track to meet your financial goals. Register here for one of four lunchtime sessions at noon on June 24 or 30.
SKY Campus Happiness Retreat July 2021
SKY Campus Happiness Retreat is a nationally acclaimed total wellbeing and resilience training tailored for the University of Minnesota. Participants gain foundational stress-management and resilience skills, develop a personal evidence-based meditative breathwork practice, and develop social connection and community building. Research shows that SKY:
- Can help participants get 3x deeper sleep per night
- Reduce stress & anxiety
- Boosts immune system
SKY is a 3-day Retreat Monday, July 12 - Wednesday, July 14, 2021, 4 pm -7 pm each day.
Wellbeing Points: 150
Health Benefits Workshop
This workshop is for employees who are interested in learning more about their benefit options—medical, dental, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and disability benefits—and would like assistance before completing their enrollment online. This workshop complements the New Employee Welcome by providing detailed benefits information. New employees should plan to attend the earliest session following their start date at the University.
Please register in advance.
If you have questions, call 612-624-8647, select option 1, to reach Employee Benefits.
|Friday, June 11||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||Zoom meeting|
|Friday, July 23||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||Zoom meeting|
|Friday, August 20||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||Zoom meeting|
|Friday, September 17||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||Zoom meeting|
If you are not able to attend a scheduled workshop, you can view the slides for the Health Benefits Workshop presentation. Workshop slides (PDF)