Events and Workshops
- Health Benefits Workshop
- Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS)
- Voluntary Retirement Program: Optional Retirement Plan and Section 457
- Pre-Retirement Planning Seminars
- 2017 National Retirement Security Week: Personal Finance Webinars October 16-20
This workshop is for employees who are interested in learning more about their benefit options—medical, dental, life insurance, disability benefits, and pre-tax flexible spending accounts—and would like assistance before completing their enrollment online. This workshop complements New Employee Orientation by providing detailed benefits information. New employees should plan to attend the earliest session following their start date at the University.
Registration is required, and you can register online. If you have questions, call 612-624-8647, select option 1, to reach Employee Benefits.
|Friday, February 16||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
|Friday, May 11||9:00 to 10:30 a.m.||210 Donhowe, East Bank of the Minneapolis campus|
If you are not able to attend a scheduled workshop, you can view the slides for the Health Benefits Workshop presentation.
Workshop slides (PDF)
This online presentation is for eligible civil service and labor represented staff who want to learn more about their mandatory retirement plan. Eligible staff is covered under the General Plan in the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS).
If you are a faculty or staff member paid on a regular or continuing basis, you're eligible to save through the Optional Retirement Plan and the Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan. These two voluntary retirement plans allow you to contribute through payroll withdrawal automatically. Learn more about these two plans and your investment options at an upcoming session. Dates will be announced shortly.
If you would like to speak to a benefits consultant with specific questions, call 612-624-UOHR (612-624-8647) to speak with someone in the Employee Benefits Service Center. A pdf of the presentation is available to review if you are not able to attend in person.
You can talk directly with representatives from any of the Optional Retirement Plan and 457 Plan investment firms to learn more about specific investment options. Please contact firms for more information on scheduling a meeting. Upcoming campus visits include:
- February 9: Twin Cities Campus, McNamara Alumni Center, Big Ten Room, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Schedule an appointment online.
- March 2: Twin Cities Campus, McNamara Alumni Center, Big Ten Room, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Schedule an appointment online.
- March 16: Twin Cities Campus, McNamara Alumni Center, Gateway Room, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Schedule an appointment online. \
You can schedule a no-obligation meeting with a Securian Retirement Plan Specialist to talk about your retirement needs if you are a Faculty Retirement Plan participant or considering investing with them through the University's Optional Retirement Plan or 457 Plan. You and your spouse or partner can discuss your savings needs, review your current investment mix, withdrawal strategies, and consolidating accounts. In-person meetings are available at Securian’s St. Paul office, on campus in the Twin Cities, Duluth, and Rochester, or via phone. To schedule a meeting, call the Securian Plan Specialist team at 1-800-421-3334, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Videos from the University of Minnesota's recent Pre-Retirement Planning Seminars are available on the Retirement Saving page.
Recordings of three webinars offered for National Retirement Security Week are available for employees:
- "Retirement Basics: Navigating the Road Ahead" (14 minutes) from Securian
- "Route to Retirement" (18 minutes) from Securian
- "Your Retirement and Social Security: Exploring Your Best Options" (15 minutes) from Securian