A Commitment to Diversity
At the University of Minnesota we value having a diversity of views and experiences that enrich our campus community. Reaching the highest levels of inclusive excellence requires recruiting and retaining diverse students, staff, faculty, and administrators, and promoting a welcoming campus climate for everyone. Equity and diversity is fundamental to everything we do at the University of Minnesota, and we are dedicated to creating a campus culture that respects everyone equally.
Diversity at the U includes:
- American Indians and other indigenous populations
- People of color, including underrepresented groups and new immigrant populations
- People with both apparent and non-apparent disabilities
- People who identify as women
- People of various gender and sexual identities and expressions
U of M Nationally Recognized for Diversity
The University of Minnesota has made a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe our workforce should reflect the true diversity of our community. As a result of our efforts to create a welcoming and inclusive campus, the U of M was named to the Forbes list of America's Best Employers for Diversity for 2018.
Promoting Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
The University's Office for Equity and Diversity (OED) sponsors a wide range of programs that foster an atmosphere of inclusion, respect, and equal opportunity. Through a combination of workshops, initiatives, and events, OED promotes a University community where equity and diversity is recognized as a core institutional value.
Creating a Welcoming Campus Climate
The University established the Campus Climate initiative on the Twin Cities campus to support a culture of equity, inclusion, and community. The Campus Climate website houses information about nearly 40 initiatives, including strategies to retain underrepresented faculty, implicit bias training for hiring managers, and diversity committees in many colleges.
A Place for Connections
Find out more about one of these University groups, and many others:
- American Indian Faculty and Staff Association
- Asian American Pacific Islander Desi (AAPID) Staff and Faculty Association
- Black Faculty and Staff Association
- Latino/a/x Faculty and Staff Association (LFSA)
- Pride @ Work
- University Women of Color