Retirement can seem a long way off, but saving while you work is important for your long-term wellbeing.
- Primary Retirement Plans
- Save More Through Voluntary Retirement Plans for All
- Webinar and Seminar Videos and Handouts
- Retirement Plan Annual Reports
- More Retirement Resources
- Looking for Help?
Benefits-eligible employees are automatically enrolled into a primary retirement plan based on their employee group:
Faculty and P&A are invested in a defined contribution plan known as a 401(a) plan administered by Securian Retirement Services. Learn more about plan eligibility, performance, and the Senate Committee on Faculty Affairs Retirement Subcommittee.
This is a defined benefit savings plan, commonly known as a pension, provides a monthly benefit for life. Eligible employees are automatically enrolled starting the first day of employment. Learn more about the General Plan by visiting the MSRS site or watching a short video.
Faculty and staff can save additional money for retirement through the University through a voluntary plan. Save as little as $200 a year and build your retirement savings over time. Watch this short video to learn more about both plan options:
You can invest in one or both plans:
- Optional Retirement Plan (ORP)
- Section 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Compare the Optional Retirement and Section 457 Plans (pdf)
- You are eligible if you are faculty, P&A, Civil Service, or Labor-Represented staff employee paid on a continuous basis.
Pre-Retirement Planning Seminars were held in spring of 2017 and links to the videos and presentation handouts are provided below.
- "Required Minimum Distributions (RMDs)," presented by Diane Ellis, Securian Retirement (video, pdf)
- "Estate Planning," presented by Edward Tully, Gray Plant Mooty (video, pdf)
- "Social Security and Medicare," presented by Rhonda Whitenack, Social Security Administration (video, pdf)
- "Supplemental Medical, Dental, and Life Insurance," presented by Melinda Soderberg, Total Compensation, Office of Human Resources (video, pdf)
Free webinars on a range of personal finance topics were held during National Retirement Security Week in 2016 for all employees. Recordings of three sessions are available to view anytime:
- Retirement Basics: Taking the Right Steps. This recorded presentation is provided by Securian Retirement Services.
- Retirement Roadmap: Keeping Your Dreams on Course. This recorded presentation is provided by Securian Retirement Services.
- Your Retirement and Social Security: Exploring Your Best Options. This recorded presentation is provided by Securian Retirement Services.
Learn more about the primary and voluntary retirement plans offered at the University and their performance.
- Compare all of the retirement plans (primary and voluntary) (pdf
- University retirement-related workshops and events
- List of investment companies (primary and voluntary plans)
- Investment performance results (primary and voluntary plans)
- Read more about small steps toward your retirement future
- Call the Benefits Contact Center at 4-UOHR (612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363) and talk to a counselor.
- Faculty Retirement Plan participants can contact Securian Retirement Services at 651-665-3670 or 800-421-3334 and talk with a representative or plan a face-to-face meeting.
- Minnesota State Retirement System participants can call 651-296-2761 or 800-657-5757.