Recruiting and Hiring
The Office of Human Resources developed a hiring process that uses a service agreement to clarify hiring procedures, timelines, and roles and responsibilities. Visit the Hiring Service and Agreement Process page to get started. You can also refer to the hiring manager user guide. Manage Applicants and Job Openings (.doc)
Key Human Resource Services to Move
Key services offered by the Office of Human Resources will be relocating from the West Bank Office Building to the Donhowe Building, 319 15th Avenue SE, on the East Bank. This move will have limited impact on services, but please be aware that the Contact Center, Operations, Talent Acquisition and Relocation Assistance, plus Workforce Data Management will relocate between August 6 and 7. To learn more about these moves and other impacted services, visit the Office of Human Resources site.
- Guidelines and Procedures
- Employment System
- Online I-9
- Background Checks
- Additional Resources
- Relocation Assistance Program
- Questions About Hiring
The links below can guide you through the hiring process for each employee group so you can find the right candidate for your open position.
- Writing a Job Description Job Aid (pdf)
- Hiring an Academic Employee
- Affiliate Relationships (formerly known as Academic "Without Salary" Appointments) (pdf)
- Civil Service
- Employment Outside the United States
- Graduate Assistants
- Student Employees
- Temporary Posted and No-Post Positions
- Temporary or Casual Employees
- Temporary Positions through Employment Agencies
Submit, track, and review your job openings and employment applications online through myu.umn.edu/employment
Employment System User Guides
- Roles and Approval (.doc)
- Create a Job Opening (.doc)
- Search and Apply (.doc)
- Hiring Manager--Manage Job Openings and Applicants (.doc)
- Unit Recruiter--Manage Job Openings and Applicants (.doc)
- Offer and Prepare for Hire (.doc)
- HRMS Recruiting Solutions Queries (pdf)
Enter, verify, and document employment eligibility for new hires at Online I-9.
Online I-9 User Guides
- Online I-9 Administrator User Guide (pdf)
- Quick Reference Guide for I-9 Administrators (pdf)
- Employee Guide to Completing the I-9 Form (pdf)
- Online I-9 Update Social Security Number Applied For (pdf)
- Online I-9 Employees on Federal Contracts (pdf)
- College/Admin Unit Location Codes (pdf)
- Online I-9 Template Letter to Employee (Word)
- Online I-9 Frequently Asked Questions
Background screening will be done for positions where it is legally required or where the University has already established a practice of conducting these checks.
The background checking process is available on the University Policy Library. The Office of Human Resources uses General Information Services for all background screening.
The Relocation Assistance Program supports departments conducting employment searches by providing complimentary services for prospective hires.
If you have questions about the hiring process in your unit, contact your college or administrative unit HR professional first.