Virtual care visits, also known as online care or e-visits, are a quick and easy way to get care for some common conditions such as allergies, cold or flu, pink eye, and sinus infections that can be safely diagnosed without a physical examination. Through your computer, you can connect with a provider to get a diagnosis and treatment, and even a prescription when you need one.
With a virtual care visit, you:
- Save time by avoiding a trip to the doctor’s office
- Initiate the visit when it works for you – you don’t need an appointment
- Get care when you need it – visits are often available after clinic hours, sometimes even 24/7
- Save money - a virtual care visit costs less than a regular visit to the doctor's office
How Virtual Care is Paid
Your UPlan medical plan covers virtual care visits with providers that are in your plan’s network. Unless otherwise noted, your costs for a virtual care visit are the same as for a walk-in convenience care clinic, which would be $15 or $20, depending on your plan, or applied to your deductible if your plan is Medica HSA. Medica National Choice members living in other states who seek virtual care from an in-network provider will have the service paid at the virtual care benefit level.
If the clinician determines that the condition is not appropriate for a virtual care visit, you will be guided to the nearest urgent care facility or advised to seek care with your primary care provider, and you would not be charged.
Your Plan’s Virtual Care Options
You can access virtual care through providers in your plan’s network. Go online to Medica's website and click on Find a Physician or Facility, select your plan and choose Virtual Care Providers. Your options may include:
- Your clinic — check to see if virtual care is offered and learn how you can connect with your provider online or by e-visit
- OnCare is a virtual care provider for members in VantagePlus with Medica (featuring providers from Fairview, HealthEast, North Memorial, and many independent clinics including Boynton Health and University of Minnesota Physicians)
- Amwell is a 24/7 online clinic available in every state. Amwell can be accessed from a mobile device – including smartphones and tablets – or a desktop computer for a video visit with a board-certified doctor who will review your history, answer questions, diagnose, treat, and prescribe medication (if needed).
- Amwell also offers behavioral health care services including therapy and psychiatry. Eligible behavioral health services are covered as an office visit with a primary care copay.
- virtuwell® is a 24/7 online clinic available in select states for treatment of common medical conditions. You have an online visit with a certified nurse practitioner who will review your case and write a personalized treatment plan.
Medica CallLink 24/7 Nurse Line
When you need help making decisions about your health or the health of a family member, consider a call to Medica CallLink. You'll be connected to an experienced nurse or health care advisor for information and advice about general health issues, self-care for minor injuries or illnesses. or finding a new provider. CallLink is open 24 hours a day. The toll-free number is on the back of your medical plan member ID card.