Frequently Asked Questions: ITIN or SSN
- Who qualifies for a Social Security Number?
- How does an eligible employee apply for a SSN?
- Who needs to apply for an ITIN?
- Which form is used? To which IRS office is it sent?
- Can a person apply by mail instead of in-person?
- What type of documentation is required when applying for an ITIN?
- Who needs to see the ITIN once issued by the IRS?
Most J-1, J-2, H-1b, O-1, and TN visa holders are eligible to receive a social security number, as long as they are authorized for employment at the University. F-1 visa holders are also eligible for a social security number, but must also show proof of a job offer. See Social Security Requirements for more information.
The new employee can complete the SSA application at either Payroll Services or the Job Center both in the Donhowe Building. The employee will be sent to the Social Security Administration Office with the completed application for an in-person interview.
All other visa holders, including B-1/WB visa holders, receiving any type of payment or reimbursement from the University must apply for an ITIN through the local IRS office. See ITIN - Individual Taxpayer ID Number for more information.
Form W-7 (pdf) is completed when applying for an ITIN. To insure that the University will be notified and report the correct IRS issued number, line three on the W-7 form (mailing address) should be Payroll Services' address:
319 15th Avenue SE
Minneapolis, MN 55454.
Check the IRS website to find offices in Minnesota.
Yes, see the Form W-7 (pdf) instructions for procedures and address.
Mail the W-7 application, with required documentation to:
Internal Revenue Service
Philadelphia Service Center
P.O. Box 447
Bensalem, PA 19020
The IRS also has more detailed information on their International Taxpayer website.
The documentation must substantiate the information on the W-7. Some examples of acceptable documents include the following originals or certified copies:
- Original passport
- U.S or foreign driver's license
- State identification card
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued visa document or photo identification card
Payroll Services needs a copy of the ITIN as soon as it has been issued to the visitor.