Compensation and Classification
The University has organized its employee roles into broad job families. The job families represent similar types of roles and duties across the University. For employees, the job family structure establishes clearly defined career paths and transparent pay classifications across the University system.
To see the job family structure for your position, visit one of these links:
- Academic (pdf)
- Administration (pdf)
- Alumni Relations/Advancement Operations (pdf)
- Animal Health (pdf)
- Athletics (pdf)
- Audit (pdf)
- Business Development (pdf)
- Campus Operations (pdf)
- Communications (pdf)
- Development (pdf)
- Education (pdf)
- Finance (pdf)
- Grants and Contracts (pdf)
- Health Care (pdf)
- Human Resources (pdf)
- Information Technology
- Legal (pdf)
- Libraries and Museums (pdf)
- Recreation (pdf)
- Research (pdf)
- Student Services (pdf)
- FY 2020 Grades by Job Family (xlsx)
You can apply to have your job reclassified if your duties and responsibilities have changed substantially due to changes in organization, work, staffing requirements, or technology.
Departments or individual employees may request a reclassification. Any reclassification request should be reviewed by your administrative or academic unit’s HR department before it reaches OHR for review.
Sometimes a reclassification request is motivated by the desire to reward a top performer. These efforts are more appropriately recognized through merit or in-range adjustments.
The reclassification process depends on your bargaining unit. For information on how to reclassify your job, click on your employee group:
Reclassification Process for Civil Service and P&A Employees
To apply to reclassify your job, follow these steps (make sure to save the form as you go):
- Employee completes the Classification Review Request (pdf) form, types their signature on the form, and forwards it to their supervisor.
- Supervisor reviews the form for completeness and accuracy, adds comments or additional information as needed, and approves the request by typing their signature on the form.
- Supervisor forwards the Classification Review Request form, employee's previous position description, and a current organizational chart to the department head/dean/designee for review and approval.
- Head/dean/designee forwards documents to the HR director for review and approval.
- Once all approvals have been received, email documents to OHR Compensation at email@example.com.
Please note: Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please email the review request form in its original format rather than by printing and scanning. Scanning the document will not allow the full content to be readable.
- Reclassification Process
- Reclassification Contractual Policies for AFSCME and Teamsters
- Reclassifying Student Positions
These steps will guide you through the reclassification process:
- Employees in AFSCME Health Care or Teamsters positions complete the JRQ form (pdf). Employees in AFSCME Clerical and Technical positions complete the JEQ form (pdf). You can view the current classification point ranges (pdf) for the AFSCME Clerical and Technical units.
- The JEQ/JRQ form is then submitted to the supervisor.
- The supervisor completes the appropriate section(s) of the JEQ/JRQ.
- The supervisor signs and submits the JEQ/JRQ to the department head along with:
- A job description
- An organizational chart
- The department head then submits the following to the dean or vice president for approval:
- The JEQ/JRQ form
- The job description
- The organizational chart
- The JEQ/JRQ, job description, and organizational chart should be emailed to the Compensation Department of the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In Compensation, a compensation analyst will:
- Complete a job evaluation of the position
- Determine the appropriate classification
Once the position has been reviewed and a determination has been made, the reclassification recommendation of the compensation analyst is final and will be implemented unless the decision is appealed by the employee within the required time frame. For specific appeal policies for each employee group, see the reclassification policies listed under "Reclassification Contractual Policies" below.
Here are specific reclassification policies for the following units:
- AFSCME Health Care (Unit 4)
- AFSCME Clerical & Office (Unit 6)
- AFSCME Technical (Unit 7)
- Teamsters (Unit 3)
Use the following policy, process, and form for reclassifications of student positions: