Compensation and Classification

The University has organized its employee roles into broad job families. The job families represent similar types of roles and duties across the University. For employees, the job family structure establishes clearly defined career paths and transparent pay classifications across the University system.

Job Family Structures

To see the job family structure for your position, visit one of these links:

Back to top

Job Reclassification

You can apply to have your job reclassified if your duties and responsibilities have changed substantially due to changes in organization, work, staffing requirements, or technology.

Departments or individual employees may request a reclassification. Any reclassification request should be reviewed by your administrative or academic unit’s HR department before it reaches OHR for review.

Sometimes a reclassification request is motivated by the desire to reward a top performer. These efforts are more appropriately recognized through merit or in-range adjustments.

The reclassification process depends on your bargaining unit. For information on how to reclassify your job, click on your employee group:

Reclassification Process for Civil Service and P&A Employees

To apply to reclassify your job, follow these steps:

  1. Employee completes a simple Classification Review Request (docx) form and the Position Description Template (docx) and signs them.
  2. Employee forwards the completed documents to the supervisor.
  3. Supervisor reviews documents for completeness and accuracy and adds comments or additional information as needed.
  4. Supervisor signs documents and attaches the old description of the position and the unit's current organizational chart.
  5. Supervisor forwards all documents to the department head/dean/designee and/or HR director for approval and signature.
  6. Once all approvals have been received, documents should be submitted through this OHR Compensation email address:

Back to top

Reclassification Process for Labor-Represented Employees and Students

Go to:

Reclassification Process

These steps will guide you through the reclassification process:

  1. Employees in AFSCME Health Care or Teamsters positions complete the JRQ form (pdf). Employees in AFSCME Clerical and Technical positions complete the JEQ form (pdf). You can view the current classification point ranges (pdf) for the AFSCME Clerical and Technical units.
  2. The JEQ/JRQ form is then submitted to the supervisor.
  3. The supervisor completes the appropriate section(s) of the JEQ/JRQ.
  4. The supervisor signs and submits the JEQ/JRQ to the department head along with:
    • A job description
    • An organizational chart
  5. The department head then submits the following to the dean or vice president for approval:
    • The JEQ/JRQ form
    • The job description
    • The organizational chart
  6. The JEQ/JRQ, job description, and organizational chart should be emailed to the Compensation Department of the Office of Human Resources at
  7. In Compensation, a compensation analyst will:
    • Complete a job evaluation of the position
    • Determine the appropriate classification

Once the position has been reviewed and a determination has been made, the reclassification recommendation of the compensation analyst is final and will be implemented unless the decision is appealed by the employee within the required time frame. For specific appeal policies for each employee group, see the reclassification policies listed under "Reclassification Contractual Policies" below.

Reclassification Contractual Policies

Here are specific reclassification policies for the following units:

Reclassifying Student Positions

Use the following policy, process, and form for reclassifications of student positions:

Back to top