Pay and Taxes
Payday and Pay Period Calendars
See paydays and pay periods for this year and previous years.
Sign up today for direct deposit to your bank account from the My Pay tab in MyU. It's the fastest and safest way to have your pay and reimbursements deposited to you.
To see your pay statement, go to the My Pay tab in MyU. For a quick explanation of the information on your statement, click on Pay Statement Job Aid at the bottom of the My Pay page. For a more detailed explanation, see our Understanding Your Pay Statement page.
Changes to OHR Contact Center and Donhowe In-Person Services
Until further notice, we have made these changes to OHR's in-person services in the Donhowe Building:
- The Contact Center has resumed taking phone calls. Phone numbers are the same as before—612-624-8647 or 800-756-2363. Or email email@example.com.
- For an I-9 appointment, all new foreign national employees should email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Employees are no longer able to pick up checks, W-2 reprints, and 1042-S reprints in person. These are being automatically mailed.
- Benefits consultations are now handled by phone or virtual meeting. Email or call to make an appointment.
- General Taxes
- Nonresident Alien Taxes and Information
- Tax Information for University of Minnesota Physicians
- Special Pay Circumstances (9-over-12 plan, overpayments, lost checks, garnishments, and more)
Information About Tax Deductions
- Federal Income Tax Deductions
- Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Tax Deductions
- State Income Tax Deductions
- Understanding Taxable Gross
- W-2 information
- W-2 - Request a Duplicate (pdf)
- W-4 information
- W-4 - Employee Withholding Certificate (pdf)
- 1042-S - Request a Duplicate (Foreign Person's U.S. Income Subject to Withholding) (pdf)
- MI-W4 - Michigan Withholding Exemption Certificate (pdf)
- MW-R - Reciprocity Exemption for Michigan/North Dakota Residents Working in Minnesota (pdf)
- W-4MN - Minnesota Withholding Allowance/Exemption Certificate (pdf)
Other Tax Information
- Education Tax Benefits
- Taxability of Tuition Benefits for 9531 Administrative Fellows
- Non-service Fellowships
- Taxability of Employee Recognition Awards
- IRS Tax Tips on Foreign Earned Income (pdf)
- Employment Authorization and I-9/E-Verify rules
- F-1 and J-1 Students - Schedule of maximum allowable work hours per week (Excel)
- Social Security Number Requirements
- Income Tax Deductions
- Social Security & Medicare (FICA) Guidelines
- Tax Treaty Eligibility and Benefits
- Substantial Presence Test
- Tax Return Information
- IRS—International Taxpayer
Payments to Nonemployees
- Scholarship and Fellowship Payments to Nonresident Aliens
- Paying Nonresident Alien Contractors
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number - ITIN
- Job Aid to Determine Fellowship vs. Employee
- 1042-S - Request a Duplicate (pdf)
- IRS Form 8233 - Exemption from Withholding
- IRS Form 8233 - Tax Treaty Affidavit Attachments
- IRS Form W-7 - Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer ID Number
- IRS Form W-8BEN - Certificate of Foreign Status
- IRS Form W-9 - Request for Taxpayer Identification Number
- IRS Form W-9 - Attachment for Tax Treaty Benefits (pdf)
- Substantial Presence Worksheet (pdf)
Find out more about special pay circumstances such as:
- Electing to Be Paid Over 12 Months: The 9-over-12 Plan
- Collection of Overpayments
- Court-ordered Garnishments
- Lost or Stolen Checks
- Workers Compensation
- Employment and Income Verification
International Students, Scholars, and Visitors
Find information and forms on taxes and employment for international students, scholars, and visitors.
Annual salary agreements for employee labor groups.