Pay and Taxes
Do a "Paycheck Checkup" to Prevent a Tax Surprise Next Year
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) encourages taxpayers to check their federal income tax withholding now due to tax law changes earlier this year. Taking a few minutes to check today could help you avoid an unexpected tax bill and a potential penalty in 2019.
Everyone Should Check
While some work, family, and tax situations are more likely to be impacted by these changes, the IRS wants everyone to check their withholding now since there’s time to withhold more money before the end of the year.
Get Your Paycheck Checkup
Go online to use the IRS Withholding Calculator to see if you should adjust your tax withholding.
- First, pull together your information:
- Most recent pay stub (available under the “My Pay” tab on MyU)
- Your latest federal tax return
- Then, go to IRS.gov/withholding to the IRS Calculator.
- If you want to change your W-4, go to MyU and find the “My Pay” tab on the left and then scroll down to “W-4 tax Information” under Tax. If you need to, adjust your withholding allowance and any additional withholdings per paycheck and then click the “Submit” button at the bottom.
The Paycheck Checkup flyer (pdf) has more information from the IRS.
If you need assistance with accessing your W-4, reach out to the OHR Contact Center at 4-UOHR (612-624-8647; 800-756-2363) or email@example.com. Please keep in mind that, in accordance with IRS regulations, the University of Minnesota cannot provide personal tax advice. To determine any issues with your personal taxes, please contact a personal tax adviser or the IRS.
Payday and Pay Period Calendars
See paydays and pay periods for this year and previous years.
Sign up today for direct deposit to your bank account from the My Pay tab in MyU. It's the fastest and safest way to have your pay and reimbursements deposited to you.
To see your pay statement, go to the My Pay tab in MyU. For a quick explanation of the information on your statement, click on Pay Statement Job Aid at the bottom of the My Pay page. For a more detailed explanation, see our Understanding Your Pay Statement page.
- General Taxes
- Nonresident Alien Taxes and Information
- Tax Information for University of Minnesota Physicians
- Special Pay Circumstances (9-over-12 plan, overpayments, lost checks, garnishments, and more)
Information About Tax Deductions
- Federal Income Tax Deductions
- Social Security and Medicare (FICA) Tax Deductions
- State Income Tax Deductions
- Understanding Taxable Gross
- W-2 information
- W-2 - Request a Duplicate (pdf)
- W-4 information
- W-4 - Employee Withholding Certificate (pdf)
- 1042-S - Request a Duplicate (Foreign Person's U.S. Income Subject to Withholding) (pdf)
- MI-W4 - Michigan Withholding Exemption Certificate (pdf)
- MW-R - Reciprocity Exemption for Michigan/North Dakota Residents Working in Minnesota (pdf)
- W-4MN - Minnesota Withholding Allowance/Exemption Certificate (pdf)
Other Tax Information
- Education Tax Benefits
- Taxability of Tuition Benefits for 9531 Administrative Fellows
- Non-service Fellowships
- Taxability of Employee Recognition Awards
- IRS Tax Tips on Foreign Earned Income (pdf)
- Employment Authorization and I-9/E-Verify rules
- F-1 and J-1 Students - Schedule of maximum allowable work hours per week (Excel)
- Social Security Number Requirements
- Income Tax Deductions
- Social Security & Medicare (FICA) Guidelines
- Tax Treaty Eligibility and Benefits
- Substantial Presence Test
- Tax Return Information
- IRS—International Taxpayer
Payments to Nonemployees
- Scholarship and Fellowship Payments to Nonresident Aliens
- Paying Nonresident Alien Contractors
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number - ITIN
- Job Aid to Determine Fellowship vs. Employee
- 1042-S - Request a Duplicate (pdf)
- IRS Form 8233 - Exemption from Withholding
- IRS Form 8233 - Tax Treaty Affidavit Attachments
- IRS Form W-7 - Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer ID Number
- IRS Form W-8BEN - Certificate of Foreign Status
- IRS Form W-9 - Request for Taxpayer Identification Number
- IRS Form W-9 - Attachment for Tax Treaty Benefits (pdf)
- Substantial Presence Worksheet (pdf)
Find out more about special pay circumstances such as:
- Electing to Be Paid Over 12 Months: The 9-over-12 Plan
- Collection of Overpayments
- Court-ordered Garnishments
- Lost or Stolen Checks
- Workers Compensation
- Employment and Income Verification
International Students, Scholars, and Visitors
Find information and forms on taxes and employment for international students, scholars, and visitors.
Annual salary agreements for employee labor groups.